Spring Fever! Two DIY Projects To Freshen Up Your Space #parablogcrew

About six weeks or so ago, I was getting stir-crazy with all the winter chills. So I turned to our PARA Blog Crew friends for inspiration. We collectively decided to challenge each other to perk up and get some paint out. So today, Sue and I are revealing what’s been keeping us busy for the past little while with the hopes that we can spread some Spring Fever to you too! (For those of you who were feeling Spring-y, please join us at the end of this post and show off some of your paint projects. And make sure you check out the Spring projects our other team members have created today – links at the end of the post.)

Mere’s Guest Bathroom Perked Up With Paint

Last week I showed you the first part of my Spring Fever project — my stencilled bathroom wall. Here’s the bathroom I was working with. As you can see, it was the perfect candidate for some perking up; it needed a big dose of Spring!

bathroom before

before bathroom wall copy

My biggest obstacles were a big black pipe in the center of the room, a green vanity that I don’t love, glass sliding shower doors and no budget. So if you remember a post that Sue wrote a few months back, she told us to either camouflage things we don’t like (and can’t replace), or embrace them. So I embraced them.

Newberry Sykes Small Bathroom Perk Up with Paint

Paint was my biggest ally. PARA Paints supplied me with two main colours, Dancing Dolphins (P5212-14) and Gray Whale (P5212-24). I used Dancing Dolphins for all my trim and base coats, and the darker Gray Whale for my accent colour.

I painted wide stripes above the vanity to both draw the eye away from the vanity and add a focus to the wall. I kept all the same fixtures, but I used silver spray paint on the lights, the towel hooks and bars to have everything match.

Newberry Sykes Small Bathroom Perk Up with Paint10

Perhaps my greatest accomplishment was the new mirror frame. Sue & I costed out a custom frame, but it was not in the budget. So instead, I bought two lengths of baseboard, mitred the ends and created my own frame. It makes such a big difference from a builder basic mirror to something that looks a lot more finished. I painted the frame in PARA’s Dancing Dolphins. (I casually throw those details in, but man I was proud to have accomplished this on my own! The jig and mitre saw are my friends now.)

Newberry Sykes Small Bathroom Perk Up with Paint2

The next project was stencilling the back wall.

bathroom wall final stencil copy

I needed to put up some shelves to hold towels and soaps, but I tried to leave it as plain as possible and let the stencil speak for itself.

Newberry Sykes Small Bathroom Perk Up with PaintEight

The last, somewhat tedious project, was covering up the black drain pipe. I decided that a sisal rope would help me disguise the utilitarian look to it and keep the sorta beachy look I had going on. I wrapped, glued, wrapped and glued until I was done.

Newberry Sykes Small Bathroom Perk Up with Paint9

I am thrilled with how happy this room makes me now. It makes such a difference to add a little paint and a few small projects to change it from “meh” to “me”.

meredith_signature

Sue’s Spring Mirror Refresh

I have to admit, I’ve been procrastinating on my next painting project. I’ve got the paint all ready to go for Regan’s room, but first I have to tackle this mess:

spring fever sue09

There was a double chair rail all around her bedroom, and it had to go. We all know the prep work is the most important part of any painting project, but it’s usually not the most fun part. And this is really not going to be fun to patch up (feel free to share your best wall repair tips).

However, my design plan for Regan’s room includes a mirror, and painting a mirror is a lot more fun and less time consuming than fixing walls. As luck would have it, I’ve somehow amassed a pretty good selection of surplus mirrors in my basement. I ended up doing a little switcheroo in order to get the right one for Regan’s room. The mirror in our master bathroom came with the house, and it always seemed a little too small to me. So, I went shopping in my basement, found a better option for the bathroom, and got to work making the old bathroom mirror work for Regan’s room.

The detail on this frame was just screaming for some glossy, girly paint, wouldn’t you agree?

spring fever sue02

spring fever sue03

I started with a coat of primer and followed with two coats of Gooseberry (Para PF-22).

spring fever sue05

spring fever sue06

Now all I have to do is tackle those walls! Here’s a sneak peek at where I’m heading with the colour palette.

spring fever sue07

spring fever sue08

The walls are going to be Weathered Silk (Para PF-9) and there will be some more luscious Gooseberry accents. In the meantime, at least there’s one less orphan mirror in my storage room!

Sue Signature

SPRING FEVER – Share your Spring paint projects!

A few simple rules:

1. We ask that you only link projects that were created by you.
  2. You must link directly to a specific post.
  3. Do NOT link posts that are linked to your link party, shop or giveaway.
    If you do, YOUR LINK WILL BE DELETED

Be sure to follow each of your PARA Blog Crew hosts:

The Dreamhouse ProjectDreamhouseProject_Spring-Fever Bloglovin’ ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ Google+

Newberry Sykes

spring fever newberry sykes banner
Bloglovin’ ~ Mere Twitter ~ Sue Twitter ~ Mere Pinterest ~ Sue Pinterest ~ Facebook

Pink Little NotebookPinkLittleNotebook_SpringFever Bloglovin’ ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest ~ Facebook ~ Instagram ~ Google+

Saige Wisdomwe do stripes Bloglovin’ ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest ~ Facebook ~ Instagram

Sweet Suite 10Spring Fever Challenge Bloglovin’ ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest ~ Instagram

By linking up, you are giving us permission to feature your project on our blogs,
Facebook, Pinterest, Google+ and other social media platforms.

Add Your Link-up Here

We’re also linking up at Home Stories A to Z.

24 Comments on Spring Fever! Two DIY Projects To Freshen Up Your Space #parablogcrew

1. Sabrina @ Pink Little Notebook
    April 8, 2014 at 8:16 am (3 years ago)

You knocked it out of the park with that bathroom Mere. I’m loving everything from the stencil to the stripes and even the pole wrapped in rope. And Sue, I love the direction you are headed for Regan’s room! That colour palette is just amazing:)
    Awesome Job guys!

• Meredith Newberry
      April 8, 2014 at 11:26 am (3 years ago)

Thanks Sabrina!!! I’m so glad you like it all. You must stencil now too :-)

2. Michelle @ Sweetsuite10
    April 8, 2014 at 8:22 am (3 years ago)

Wow Meredith – I’m super impressed with the amount of work you did. Your bathroom looks so good!
    Sue – that mirror looks great, and I’m loving the colour combo you’re planning for Regan’s room – can’t wait to see the progress!

• Meredith Newberry
      April 8, 2014 at 11:25 am (3 years ago)

Thanks Michelle! I surprised myself with how easy it was to make such a difference. I wish I had done it earlier now. The beauty of a challenge, right?!?

3. Tash @ The Dreamhouse Project
    April 8, 2014 at 9:56 am (3 years ago)

Wow Mere! That bathroom is amazing! I love that Grey Whale! I may need to wrote that one down for the Dreamhouse. You’ve created such a calming, beautiful space!
    Sue – I love the palette you’ve put together for Regan’s room. That fabric is fantastic! And the mirror looks so fun & girly now. Can’t wait to see it all come together! :)
    Great job you two!

• Meredith Newberry
      April 8, 2014 at 11:24 am (3 years ago)

Thanks Tash! That means a lot coming from a creative force like you! I really, really like the gray whale/dancing dolphins combo. It’s bright and fresh but still qualifies toward my unintended goal of 50 shades of grey in my house ;-)

4. Alicia
    April 8, 2014 at 10:52 am (3 years ago)

Wowza Mere! Amazing. That bathroom looks gorgeous. I love the grey with the stripes and the stencil. Fabulous. Really fabulous! Sue, the colours for your daughters room are so pretty. She will love it! Great job guys!!

• Meredith Newberry
      April 8, 2014 at 11:23 am (3 years ago)

Thanks Alicia!!! (I love the word wowza:-)) So glad you are a fan of our projects. I’m loving that R will get such a girlie room…and I’m so pleased that I have a room that feels so pretty now. You never realize how neglected a room is until you post it for the world to see ;-) Hope day two back to work is going well……

5. Inspire Me Heather
    April 8, 2014 at 11:08 am (3 years ago)

Both of those projects look great! That bathroom turned out quite stunning and the frame, oh-so pretty!

• Meredith Newberry
      April 8, 2014 at 11:21 am (3 years ago)

Thanks Heather! We appreciate you stopping by and checking our projects out. :-) I hope you’re feeling Spring-y today!

6. Katie Edwards
    April 8, 2014 at 4:06 pm (3 years ago)

The bathroom is SO MUCH better, and I seriously love the pink on that frame. I’m excited to see more of the pink room!

7. Tatiana Dokuchic
    April 8, 2014 at 4:32 pm (3 years ago)

Love the new bathroom look, Mere! I’m continually surprised at the wonders a good eye & some paint can work. Very clever disguise of the black pipe as well.

I can’t agree with you more, Sue. Prep work is so important and it really does suck doing it. Love the revamped mirror & looking forward to seeing more.

8. Jen @ RamblingRenovators
    April 8, 2014 at 11:40 pm (3 years ago)

You ladies did good! Sue – love the direction you’re going with the room. Perfect palette for a young girl! And Mere, you completely transformed that bathroom! With paint! Good on you for tackling that mirror frame too.

• Meredith Newberry
      April 10, 2014 at 10:30 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks so much Jen! We love your positive vibes! :-)

9. Andrea@personallyandrea
    April 9, 2014 at 8:38 am (3 years ago)

Wow!!!! The bathroom turned out fantastic!! What a lot of hard work and it totally paid off. You deserve being proud of yourself :)

• Meredith Newberry
      April 10, 2014 at 10:32 pm (3 years ago)

Aww thanks Andrea! You and I both know how much Spring can bring on change. Thanks for popping by :-)

10. janet @ ordinary mom
    April 9, 2014 at 9:09 am (3 years ago)

I LOVE the look of the counters now with all the grey. And that rope on the pipe is brilliant. I love how it looks. So great! :)

• Meredith Newberry
      April 10, 2014 at 10:33 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Janet! Your comment is so sweet :-) Somehow the green vanity seems a little less…well, green. I was so happy when Sue posted about taking the focal point off the counter…a total AHA moment :-)

11. Krista @ the happy housie
    April 9, 2014 at 11:04 pm (3 years ago)

I LOVE the stripes and the stenciling and that pink mirror with the fabric (tonic living!) is gorgeous!!

12. dani@lifeovereasy
    April 10, 2014 at 1:40 am (3 years ago)

Wow that bathroom transformation is amazing! Great job!

13. Lisa Goulet
    April 14, 2014 at 12:31 pm (3 years ago)

I love how your bathroom turned out Meredith and so inspired to use sisal rope to cover the post, it turned out great.
    Sue, that mirror is so great and the perfect thing to inspire your daughter’s new room design. Can’t wait to see the reveal.

14. Lindsey
    April 18, 2014 at 9:27 am (3 years ago)

I LOVE the stripes and the stenciling. And I commend you on the patience it must have taken to keep both level! Amazing job. And the result is such a lovely calming bathroom retreat. Great job!