Mere’s Mudroom Reveal {Hint: There’s a lot less mud now!}

interior decor from dreary to cheery mudroom newberry sykesThe last you saw of my front door it looked something like this…

After Front DoorUnfortunately, what was waiting behind door #1 was a real-life housewife disaster of Ottawa. It was trashy, full of plastic and awaiting disaster. But as you can see in this updated picture below, the ratings have vastly improved and now children, parents and adults alike are all able to enter into this scene without averting their eyes or putting on their “earmuffs”.

interior decor mudroom makeover newberry sykes

If you remember from Tuesday’s post, this was the plan:

interior decor mud room organization newberry sykes

I needed to finish a very neglected window, make some floor space by hanging LOTS of hooks, and organize things so that we could get out of the door instead of stuck in an urban trap.

So here’s how we went from ewww! to ahhhhh….. in just a few days.

evolution of the mudroom

Window Casing & Trim

First, I had to fix that window. As you can see below the ledge was cracked, there was no trim, the colour was peach and it was gaping publicly in places where it shouldn’t be exposed.

interior decor mud room window casing newberry sykes

One trip to the home improvement store and a few pieces of primed MDF later, my window was looking a LOT better. I was going for a craftsman style of window. It was simple, easy to do and turned out exactly like what I wanted. If you haven’t done the casing (the inside framing, basically) around a window before, it’s not as hard as you’d think. I didn’t need to miter edges on this window so that made it a lot less intimidating. I measured a LOT, cut once and then glued and nailed the boards into place. My framing used a slightly thinner board and was again, simple joints without mitring.  I left the top and bottom edges out 2 inches from the frame to make it a little more unique.

Paint

interior decor scarf and pillows mudroom newberry sykes

I headed straight to my favourite new white, Dancing Dolphin by PARA Paints. The bead board sheets that we hung a few years ago were looking a little rough, but two coats of  PARA Ultra paint and a high-pile roller (to get all the paint into the tiny little lines) and I was so pleased at the light, bright space. I used PARA’s Double Click Right as my accent colour. I painted the glass door frame, the shelf and a few other accessories in that grey, beige colour. It’s an amazing beachy colour when paired with the greyish white of Dancing Dolphin; it suits the space like sunsets at the beach.

interior decor para paints double click right newberry sykes

Hooks and Shelves

interior decor shelf styling mudroom newberry sykes

Why we lived with only three adult-sized hooks, I shall never understand. There were also a few small cheapy hooks that had withstood the test of time and toddler pull-ups on one wall so we used those for the dog’s leash and towel, and the remaining three were for the three of us. I guess now I understand why my husband’s coat always, always landed on the dining room chair right near the door. #hindsightis20/20

So the biggest thing I needed to buy was hooks and shelves. I bought five tri-hooks for the back wall for my, Nick’s and our guests coats and bags. I bought four more to be hung at my son’s level for his coats, hats and bags. And then I bought three more to hang the paraphernalia that seems to accumulate with dogs. We’ve increased our hanging space more than three times. Not bad for a room seemingly without studs (how the porchy addition stays up, I don’t want to know).

interior decor kids hooks in mudroom newberry sykes

interior decor dog alley newberry sykes

The long shelf above our hooks was easy. I hung up some pre-primed MDF boards, screwed in the corbels I bought in the trim & finishing section at Home Depot, and then screwed in the shelf above it. I painted the pine board in PARA’s Double Click Right and done done & done.

Building a Bench

interior decor diy mudroom bench newberry sykes

Beside the window casing, the item in the room I am MOST proud of is the bench. Yup, I built it. And yes, it’s simple, but I’m still proud. I needed a very specific size for our narrow room, so the easiest and cheapest way to get the dimensions I needed was to build it myself. Maybe it was the donuts I’d consumed on the way to the Depot that convinced me I could do it, but I went into the store with a few ideas and came out with all the wood I needed. I spent a few hours that same morning building the bench and it was pretty much done. First solo build ever. A HUGE success in my books. I just need to add another row of shelves to two of the ‘cubbies’ so we can get all our shoes, and sigh, winter boots in there. (Yes, there’s room, it looks a bit small, but I assure you I’ve measured our footwear to make it all fit!)

Faux (No Sew) Roman Blind

As luck would have it, I had the perfect fabric to pretty up the window. It was a perfect match to the Double Click Right paint I chose and I had just enough to pull together the curtain. I used Alicia’s tutorial as inspiration for faux roman blinds and am really happy about how they worked out. They can even move up and down if we want privacy or light filtering. I used three simple cafe rods, hem tape, a measuring tape and six rod hooks. I merely hemmed the hooks into the fabric with the hem tape and hung them on three levels so they appear to be hanging like roman blinds. Easy!

no sew faux roman blind newberry sykes

All in all, this is a huge improvement for us. I think there’s nothing better to welcome someone into your home than something that’s fresh, organized and looks nice. Now, let’s hope we can keep it that way!

interior decor mud room reveal newberry sykes interior decor faux roman blind newberry sykes

interior decor mudroom corner newberry sykes

interior decor sconce shelves mudroom newberry sykes copy

How’d I do? Much more welcoming, right? Have a great weekend!

meredith_signature

Setting for Four
Linking up to Beth @ Home Stories A to Z.

31 Comments on Mere’s Mudroom Reveal {Hint: There’s a lot less mud now!}

1. Kelly McCauley
    July 18, 2014 at 9:25 am (3 years ago)

Wow, Mere, looks amazing and so inspiring! You make it look so easy!

• Meredith Newberry
      July 18, 2014 at 10:19 am (3 years ago)

Thanks Kelly! I may have had some practice on the DIY front…but it really was easy! Hardest part will be making sure the boys keep it tidy. Any tips Kelly?!

• Kelly McCauley
        July 18, 2014 at 11:20 am (3 years ago)

Other than not letting them in the house? ;)

• Meredith Newberry
          July 18, 2014 at 3:26 pm (3 years ago)

Hmmmmm….well….a girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do ;-) ha ha.

2. Lisa Goulet
    July 18, 2014 at 9:30 am (3 years ago)

What a great transformation Meredith! I’m so impressed that you made the bench and shelf and trimmed out the window yourself. You’re SuperWoman! I’m loving the fresh beachy look and feel!

• Meredith Newberry
      July 18, 2014 at 10:21 am (3 years ago)

Thanks Lisa! I kinda surprised myself by tackling it all too. But it turned out to be super easy. I followed the inspiration of Ana White for the bench and Thrifty Decor Chick for the window…if they can do it, why couldn’t I? Now I’m ExhaustedWoman! ;)

3. Alicia
    July 18, 2014 at 10:20 am (3 years ago)

Wow! Love it. So pretty, so so pretty! Do you find yourself constantly looking at it ;) Love the faux blind :)

• Meredith Newberry
      July 18, 2014 at 10:24 am (3 years ago)

Ha! I do! I am so glad I finally got to use your roman blind plans! I used cafe rods instead of tension rods so don’t look too close to compare to yours…mine don’t look as perfect as yours! xo

4. Sara
    July 18, 2014 at 11:05 am (3 years ago)

Wow, wow, wow. This is absolutely gorgeous! The colours are amazing together: the perfect blend of cool and warm. And I’ll have to ask you about that adorable Jack painting…

• Meredith Newberry
      July 18, 2014 at 3:28 pm (3 years ago)

Awww thanks Sara! I really love how the Dolphins ‘dance’ so nicely with the Double Click Right too! My bro gets all the credit for the Jack art. I am so glad to finally find the PERFECT spot for it. :-)

5. Michelle @ Sweetsuite10
    July 19, 2014 at 12:52 am (3 years ago)

Looks wonderful – It’s so welcoming! Kudos on building the bench yourself!I love your paint colours – in fact I think I’m going to go look them up ;)

• Meredith Newberry
      July 20, 2014 at 6:55 pm (3 years ago)

Aw thanks Michelle! Just don’t look up the white, k…aren’t you supposed to be looking for colourful ideas for your already white walls ;-)

6. gemma@thesweetestdigs
    July 20, 2014 at 9:21 am (3 years ago)

Looks awesome! So fresh and classic. What a great space to walk into!

• Meredith Newberry
      July 20, 2014 at 6:54 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Gemma! I bet you’re going to love walking into your new space in the Fall just as much :-) xo

• Meredith Newberry
      July 21, 2014 at 2:30 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Heather! It feels like a transformation for sure…I can’t believe the ‘before’ pics. Sometimes I just need to step back to realize what I need to accomplish. :-)

7. Virginia Fynes
    July 21, 2014 at 2:08 pm (3 years ago)

This looks so fresh and beautiful! Love how everything came together!

8. Steph
    July 21, 2014 at 2:13 pm (3 years ago)

Gorgeous! You’re going to love having a new place to put everything! I have to make a roman blind for our mudroom – need to get on that!

• Meredith Newberry
      July 22, 2014 at 2:37 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Steph. Roman blinds without actually lifting a needle are the best ;-) Of course if you sew, that’s a whole different world open to you! Thanks for stopping by!

9. Lyss
    July 21, 2014 at 3:12 pm (3 years ago)

WOW! You did an awesome job! What a transformation! I think the white is a great colour choice because it really makes this space feel big. I love the blinds too!

• Meredith Newberry
      July 21, 2014 at 3:29 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Lyss! Yes yes yes, white has a knack for making everything feel so breezy and open doesn’t it. Check out Alicia’s blinds too, she’s the reason I went with the no-sew faux instead of trying to make roman blinds work with the pulls ;-) :-) M

10. Cynthia Weber
    July 22, 2014 at 6:30 am (3 years ago)

Clapping!!! What a huge improvement… and, If you are anything like me now you walk through it every day and say “why did I wait so long” and then start thinking about the next space to tackle!!

11. Heather
    July 22, 2014 at 11:07 am (3 years ago)

Stunning makeover! I love all the storage and organization you brought to your mudroom along with the pop of patterns in the textiles! Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your creativity at Monday Funday!! Pinned!

• Meredith Newberry
      July 22, 2014 at 2:40 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Heather! I’m in great company then, you guys have so many great, great links already. Thanks for pinning :-)

12. Donna
    July 22, 2014 at 3:43 pm (3 years ago)

Love love love this! It’s so clean and organized. I love the roman – they are so simple and pretty on a window. I have one or two planned for my house – just need to find some time in front of my sewing machine!

13. Jennie
    July 26, 2014 at 7:24 am (3 years ago)

Mere! Wow! Honestly its amazing, so impressed! I’m for sure using that Dancing Dolphin…yep I get that excited for white :)

• Meredith Newberry
      August 4, 2014 at 9:14 pm (3 years ago)

Thanks Char! You gotta figure if you have a room with the name mud in it should be light and bright, right?!:-) Thanks so much for shopping by!